The Artist’s Paris Invitational Tour, Sept 29-Oct 5, 2017
An In-Depth Sketchbook and Art History Exploration
Do you love Paris for its creative heritage? Its sensory stimulation? Are you hungry to experience the city’s vistas, details and art, and capture them on the page? Join us for an in-depth invitational sketchbook workshop in Paris! We’ll be exploring exciting new areas, plus revisiting some of our favorites, with a more concentrated focus on drawing and painting than in previous Paris workshops.
What’s special about this trip
• This five day workshop will take you to the some of the most visually interesting parts of the world’s most beautiful city for drawing and painting exploration, including the Luxembourg Gardens, Rue Mouffetard, Montparnasse, as well as street markets and out of the way neighborhoods. A trip to Giverny to draw in the gardens and visit the American Impressionist museum there is also a possibility!
• We’ll have time for in-depth sketchbook studies, including using color, collage and text. Susan will provide focussed exercises, demos and critiques to help you get the most out of your time in Paris.
• We’ll also be visiting painting exhibits, where we’ll use our sketchbooks to investigate select paintings with an artist’s eye.
• We’ll share delicious meals together, where we’ll exchange perspectives, make meaningful connections, and enjoy wonderful French cuisine.
A sample day
9 – 12 am: We begin the day at the Louvre where Susan will lead an in-depth lecture on Chardin, Corot and other favorite French painters, with time for sketching.
12 – 1:30 pm: Lunch at a favorite restaurant in the Marais—a neighborhood known for beautiful parks, spectacular architecture, and great people-watching.
1:30 – 4 pm: Susan will direct sketchbook drawing activities, using the lively Place des Vosges as our base.
4 – 8 pm: Now’s a good time to use your room as a “studio” to add color to your sketchbook, using Susan’s tips.
8 – 10 pm: Dinner and the evening free. We’ll help you choose a good value restaurant, a movie or club, a quiet (or lively) place for a drink, or a neighborhood rendered all the more beautiful by street lamp.
Susan Abbott graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Maryland Institute, College of Art, and received her MFA from the Hoffberger School of Painting at the Maryland Institute. She went on to study intaglio print making in the graduate department of the University of Iowa under Mauricio Lasansky. She has traveled extensively, painting in Mexico, Central America and Europe. Her watercolor and oil paintings have been exhibited in galleries and museum shows in New York, Chicago, Washington, and many other cities. Her work is represented in numerous private and corporate collections in the US and abroad. She can’t imagine traveling without her sketchbook. See samples of Susan’s work and her travel sketchbooks at www.susanabbott.com.
Karen Kane owns Paris by Design, a travel consulting service that specializes in fantastic trips to Paris. Karen will work with you to personalize the independent time in your itinerary, giving you the inside scoop on where to eat, shop, stroll, and view art. She’ll point out Paris gems you would have missed on your own, she’ll help you understand the finer points of French culture, and she’ll teach you how to navigate the city like a native.
• 5 days and nights in Paris, with a small group and personalized instruction — plus an optional day trip to Giverny (see Workshop Extension details below)
• Double occupancy in a quiet three-star Left Bank hotel
• Daily breakfast, three inspirational lunches, a welcome reception, and a fantastic farewell dinner
• Guided museum visits, focused drawing activities, and guided walks that get you off the beaten path and allow you to experience art in many forms
• Your own travel sketchbook
• A personalized notebook with additional Paris addresses of particular interest that will help you discover arts venues, restaurants, shopping, and more
• Paris museum pass that provides fast and free entry to the city’s best museums
• Paris métro tickets that let you navigate the city like a native
• Recommendations for and help arranging optional activities
• Transportation to Paris, airport transfers, two lunches, some dinners
• Personal expenses
• Passports and travel insurance
Please note: We’ll explore several neighborhoods on foot, and we’ll use the Métro to move between the city’s arrondissements, just as native Parisians do. Our travels will include uneven pavement and many stairs. If you’re not accustomed to walking, we encourage you to begin walking on a regular basis now. This preparation will increase your stamina in Paris – meaning you’ll enjoy the experience that much more.
Cost and registration
Cost for the 5 day workshop is $2,890 per person, double occupancy, if registered before March 15, 2017. Cost is $2,990 after March 15. Single room is available for an additional $360. Price does not include flight.
Workshop extension: An optional day, for those who would like to travel to Monet’s home, Giverny, to draw in the gardens and visit the American Impressionist museum there takes place on Wed, Oct 4. Additional cost of $290 includes guided visits, train travel, entrance fees, and an additional night at the hotel (double occupancy).
Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Minimum group size is 6; maximum is 10. A deposit of $500 is required to reserve your place in The Artist’s Paris. Remaining payment is requested by July 15.
Download a registration form.
Download a detailed itinerary.
Return to Tours of Paris.