Authentic Flavors of Paris, A Culinary Tour, Oct 6-11, 2017
Steep yourself in modern Paris food culture in the company of French and American food professionals. Join us for a journey defined by tastes, aromas, textures, and conversation!
What’s special about this culinary tour
• Expert guides. Culinary journalist, cookbook author, and bon vivant Marialisa Calta will accompany us daily, bringing a sophisticated palate, knowledge of cooking techniques, and insider insights to our meals, conversations, and excursions. We’ll also meet vendors, chefs, sommeliers, and restauranteurs.
• Authentic flavors. Modern French food consists of innovative restaurant cuisine, as well as quality ingredients, simply prepared. We’ll eat at the tables of beloved Paris chefs, join the locals at markets and unique food stores, and prepare meals in a 19th century Paris apartment kitchen recently renovated by restauranteurs. We’ll take time to enjoy our food and each other’s company.
• Personalized itinerary. Our small group (4-8 travelers), hours à table, and time to explore on your own ensure a highly personalized, fun, and interactive experience.
• Amazing location. Our base for this authentic exploration of Paris food culture is the up-and-coming neighborhood of SoPi. A Right Bank quartier with rich history, bustling nightlife, and quiet side streets packed with culinary delights, the neighborhood was inhabited by Victor Hugo, George Sand, Chopin, and Delacroix. Named “Paris’s hottest neighborhood” by the Wall Street Journal, it has kept its creative edge, and feels far away from the tourist crowds.
Download the tour registration.
A sample day
9-12 We’ll settle into a neighborhood café for excellent coffee, great people-watching, and a chance to learn more about the world of food writing from our resident culinary journalist and cookbook author, Marialisa Calta.
12-1:30 Lunch at Caves Legrand, a family-owned restaurant/wine cave, where we’ll indulge in small plates of local foods and lesser known wines.
1:30-4 Next, a shopping expedition for those who love to cook: we’ll visit 2 nearby restaurant supply stores and a large culinary bookstore. Mais oui — there are English books among the astonishing array of titles.
4-8 Spend time at your own pace — continue shopping, explore a new neighborhood, or sip wine with the locals at Buvette. We’ll help you as needed, bien sûr.
8-10 Dinner is open to eat what you’d like, where you’d like, at your own pace. We’ll provide an extensive list of Paris restaurants and reserve for you.
Download the complete tour itinerary.
Karen Kane, a former Paris resident, owns Paris by Design, a travel consulting service that specializes in fantastic trips to Paris. Exploring French food culture is one of her greatest pleasures, and she is delighted to introduce you to her favorite markets, restaurants, and cooking professionals. She’ll teach you how to navigate the city like a native, recommend and reserve additional tables for you, and help you get the most from the independent time in your itinerary.
Marialisa Calta started her writing career as a straight-up newspaper reporter, which laid the foundation to her “second act” as a foodwriter and cookbook author; she learned to look outside of herself and consult others – chefs, growers, restaurateurs, home cooks – and bring their diverse voices to the world of food. She has interviewed such food luminaries as Julia Child, Jacque & Gloria Pepin, Anthony Bourdain, and Mark Bittman, and traveled the country talking to home cooks for her book “Barbarians at the Plate.” Fun fact: she was Al Roker’s ghost-recipe-writer.
• Five nights, double occupancy, in a Right Bank Paris boutique hotel
• Daily breakfast, four gourmet lunches, a multi-course dinner prepared by a Paris chef
• Wine, pastry, chocolate tastings in the company of food professionals
• Cooking demonstrations, guided walking tours, help planning optional activities
• A personalized notebook, with additional addresses for viewing art, shopping and dining on your own, plus room for food notes
• Transportation to Paris, airport transfers
• Personal expenses, some dinners, optional activities
• Passports and travel insurance
Please note: We’ll explore several neighborhoods on foot, and we’ll use the Métro to move between the city’s arrondissements, just as native Parisians do. Our travels will include cobbled pavement and stairs. If you’re not accustomed to walking, we encourage you to begin walking on a regular basis now. This preparation will increase your stamina in Paris – meaning you’ll enjoy the experience that much more.
Cost and registration details
Cost is $3,120 per person, double occupancy, if registered before April 1, 2017. Cost is $3,220 after April 1. Single room is available for an additional $490. Price does not include flight.
Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Minimum group size is 4; maximum is 8. A deposit of $500 per person will reserve your place in Authentic Flavors of Paris. Remaining payment is required by Aug 1, 2017.
Questions? Email Karen or call 802 456 8770.