Montreal Gardens and Gastronomy, June 16-18, 2017
Are you passionate about plants? Do you love great food? Join us for a weekend of gardens and gastronomy, exploring two aspects of Montreal culture that set this vibrant city apart!
What’s special about this trip
• Visit public and private Montreal gardens with a professional landscape designer who will put each garden in context, help identify plants, discuss color combinations, explore planting strategies, give you new perspectives on your own gardens, and lead you to gardens you wouldn’t find on your own.
• Experience Montreal’s thriving food culture in its many forms: markets, restaurants, bistros, specialty food shops, patisseries, boulangeries, fromageries. Our guided walking tours, tastings, and group meals will introduce you to many of the city’s unique flavors and aromas.
• Our small group (6 -10 travelers), 2 knowledgeable leaders, and time to explore on your own assure a highly personalized, interactive experience. Beautiful views, fabulous food, and engaging conversations (including a meeting with Montreal gardening enthusiasts) will inspire and energize you.
A sample day — Friday, June 16
11:00 Check into your Montreal hotel or B&B. We recommend staying in the Plateau, the city’s most vibrant quartier, and can suggest accommodations that fit your budget and needs.
12:00 Meet your fellow gardening enthusiasts and learn how to get the most from the weekend over an artisanal lunch. Sandwiches, salads, pastries and more all come from quality purveyors in the neighborhood. We’ll provide their addresses, in case you’d like to return for some of your favorite foods.
1:00 We’ll take the city bus to Parc Mont-Royal, a 495-acre public space, designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (Central Park, the Emerald Necklace). You’ll see open spaces, woods, trails, and wonderful views of the city, all through the eyes of a landscape designer.
5:00 Optional guided tour of some of our favorite streets in the Plateau, including boutiques, sidewalk cafés, gourmet food shops, and time to explore on your own.
7:00 Group dinner at Le Nil Bleu, Montreal’s best Ethiopian restaurant. The generous tasting menu and singular ambiance will lead to discoveries of new spices and great conversation.
See the full tour itinerary.
Download a registration form.
Landscape designer Didi Brush grew up in a rural area with four brothers, and spent nearly all her time outdoors. In 2004, she opened her own landscape design business, and has worked on a wide variety of residential, commercial and public landscape design projects. She has been visiting and exploring Montreal off and on for 30 years, and looks forward to sharing what’s special about the city’s parks, gardens, and green spaces. www.didibrush.com.
Karen Kane has been leading tours of Montreal since 2009. Her guided tours give first time and returning visitors a Montreal experience that’s just not possible any other way. A fluent French speaker, Karen will take you to the heart of Montreal’s French roots, immerse you in its vibrant, contemporary culture, and introduce you to some of her favorite people and places.
• Three days of guided neighborhood walks, interpretive garden visits, and meetings with local garden enthusiasts
• Three gourmet lunches, 2 group dinners, chocolate and pastry tastings
• Entrance to 5 gardens, including the Montreal Botanical Gardens
• Montreal Métro and bus tickets
• Additional Montreal addresses for free time and future reference
• Lodging (we will suggest accommodations to fit your budget and needs, and reserve for you)
• Personal shopping expenses
• Transportation to Montreal, though we will be happy to facilitate carpooling for those traveling from Vermont
• An enhanced drivers license or a US passport is required.
• We’re hoping for good weather, but rain won’t deter us — bring a raincoat and/or umbrella just in case.
• We’ll use the Métro to move between the city’s neighborhoods, and our travels will include stairs and dirt paths. If you’re not accustomed to walking, we encourage you to begin walking on a regular basis now. This preparation will increase your stamina in Montreal – meaning you’ll enjoy the experience that much more.
Registration is on a first come, first served basis, and we expect this trip to fill quickly. Trip cost is $529 before April 10, 2017. Cost is $579 after April 10. Minimum group size is 6, maximum is 10.
Full payment is required to reserve your place in Montreal Gardens and Gastronomy.
Please send check and completed registration form to Karen Kane, Paris by Design, 200 Hammett Hill Rd, East Montpelier, VT 05651
Download a registration form.
Download the trip itinerary.
Email Karen, or call 802 456-8770
Return to Tours of Montreal