Chagall as You’ve Never Heard Him: A Montreal Day Trip, May 6, 2017
Immerse yourself in the striking images, vivid colors, and musical connections of Russian-French artist Marc Chagall at a major multidisciplinary exhibit at the Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal (Montreal Fine Arts Museum).
This full day of looking, listening, and learning is designed for artists, art lovers, and art educators.
What’s special about this day
• Chagall’s love of music profoundly influenced his artistic expression. We’ll explore a large and diverse body of work — painting, book illustrations, stained glass, stage sets, costumes, and ceramics — paying special attention to its musical connections.
• Our conversations will create a historical and cultural context for the artist and his oeuvre; you’ll experience Chagall as a pioneer of modernism, and as a major Jewish artist.
• Our day balances group time and independent exploration. You’ll have opportunities to people-watch along bustling rue Sainte-Catherine, and view the new wing at the Musée des Beaux Arts.
• Round trip travel to Montreal in a private van means no driving or parking worries, leaving you plenty of energy for looking, learning, and conversation.
• Our small group size (8-12) assures an intimate and interactive experience, with opportunities for exchanges among art lovers with a variety of perspectives and vibrant, new connections.
“I painted the walls / I painted the musicians, the dancers on stage / in blue, red, yellow / Play, sing, leap” — Marc Chagall, from Poèmes, 1930-35
Saturday, May 6, 2017
8:30 – Depart Burlington in a private van. As you settle into your seat, we’ll talk about Chagall’s life and work, and share expectations for the day.
11:00 – Arrive at Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal (Montreal Fine Arts Museum) to see the exhibition “Chagall: Music and the Rite of Colour.” The interdisciplinary exhibit includes 340 works and musical accompaniment.
1:00 – Share your thoughts about art and more, over a relaxed lunch at a small French café. Choose from gourmet sandwiches, fresh salads, Canadian meat pies, espresso drinks, and delectable pastries made in-house.
2:30 – Free time, to see more of the museum, or visit the boutiques and cafés along rue Sainte-Catherine.
3:30 – Begin our trip back to Vermont, arriving Burlington around 6:30. We’ll share observations of our experiences en route.
• Private van transportation between Burlington and Montreal
• Gourmet lunch in Montreal
• Admission to the temporary art exhibition “Chagall: Music and the Rite of Colour” at the Musée des Beaux Arts de Montréal (Montreal Fine Arts Museum)
• Montreal addresses for free time and future reference
Please note: An enhanced drivers license or a US passport is required.
Download trip registration.
Karen Kane. Getting around Montreal is fun and easy with an insider at your side. Karen has been leading tours of Montreal since 2009. Her guided tours give first time and returning visitors a Montreal experience that’s just not possible any other way! A fluent French speaker, Karen will take you to the heart of Montreal’s French roots, and immerse you in its vibrant, contemporary culture.
Teresa Davis. Teresa has worked for more than thirty years with children from preschool to high school, supporting creativity through both visual and theater arts. She has several years’ experience as an elementary classroom teacher and an art instructor. Teresa was also a preschool director and teacher in Santa Fe, New Mexico. She has traveled extensively and spent a year teaching children in Amman, Jordan. Teresa founded Davis Studio in 2003 and loves being surrounded with the energy and creativity of all of her amazing students..
Cost and registration details
Registration is on a first come, first served basis, and we expect this trip to fill quickly. Minimum group size is 8; maximum is 12. Cost is $255 per person before April 1, 2017. Cost is $285 after April 1.
Full payment is required to reserve your place in Chagall as You’ve Never Heard Him.
Please send check and completed registration form to Karen Kane, Paris by Design, 200 Hammett Hill Rd, E Montpelier, VT 05651.
Download trip registration.
Questions? Contact Karen at 802 456 8770, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Tours of Montreal.