Montreal Apps, Maps and Articles
These resources will help you prepare for your trip, communicate with Montrealers, and keep you found as you explore the city.
Apps and Maps
• To know how USD compares with CAD, use this currency converter.
• The Weather Channel. Don’t trust those Canadians you see wearing shorts. Be prepared.
• About half of Montrealers speak English. For English-French language translations, I adore the Larousse iPhone app. You can look up words without a cellular or internet connection. With the connection, it pronounces the words.
• Transit: the best app for public transport includes Bixi (rental bike) and Über options as well. Tracks your progress via GPS as you travel so you know exactly when to get off the bus. Free, but you need to be connected to use it.
• The free Montreal en Histoires app provides audio explanations of 60 sites in Old Montreal, plus maps of the area.
• Jazz Festival. Because gigs are spread out around the city.
• Booze Finder. Where to find the nearest open liquor store. Handy for BYO restaurants. For Android and iPhone.
• TAG taxi is the taxi companies’ answer to Über, which is not without its problems. TAG lets you order a licensed cab from any of Montreal’s taxi companies with a few buttons, no talking required, just like the Über app. You can track your cab to know exactly when it will arrive, and your driver can see on his GPS exactly where you are. You can request extras (payment method, large luggage capacity, child seat) etc in advance so there are no surprises.
• Feeling sportive? Use this app to find and rent Bixi bikes.
• Waze Social GPS. Better than Google Maps for traffic directions and best routing. Big help if driving to Montreal.
• Prkg quickly deciphers parking zones around you and tells you if you where it’s safe to park. Eliminates the headache of reading parking signs.
• P$ Service Mobile. App for paying parking meters. Lets you pay for additional time from inside a store/restaurant/far away so there’s no panicking about the meter running out. You get a text reminder when time is almost up.
• INFO-Neige MTL tells you when streets will be/have been ploughed to help with parking decisions in Winter.
• How I spent a romantic Valentine’s getaway in Montreal.
• A Montreal holiday gift guide for foodies.